First of all, you need to know about what is mesothelioma? and then only we will talk about its symptoms and treatment; It’s not to scare you out but the truth is mesothelioma survival rates are very low. But still there are really great chances doctors can apply to your treatment;
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that develops from the thin layer of tissue that covers many of the internal organs (known as the mesothelium). The most common area affected is the lining of the lungs and chest wall.
If we do deep research about mesothelioma then it shows that Mesothelioma Cancer is a rare, aggressive form of cancer that develops in the lining of the lungs, abdomen, or heart.
If we go through the 2017’s reports and statistics then it also shows that 2400 – to 2800 people were diagnosed with mesothelioma in the United States each year.
You might have a question what will be the life expectancy for mesothelioma patients? then it’s soo poor, as there is no cure for this disease.
These are the 10 Mesothelioma Symptoms
The only problem with mesothelioma is that symptoms can often confuse you in compared to other diseases.
If you recognize the symptoms right away then there might be a good chance of receiving an early diagnosis, where you can improve your health condition as well as life expectancy.
- It is very important to know the potential signs of mesothelioma, especially if you have had problems with asbestos.
- Anemia, Fatigue, Hoarseness
- Dyspnea – difficulty breathing
- Hypoxemia – Low oxygen level
- Dysphagia – difficulty swallowing
- Abdominal pain / Swelling
- Fever / Sweats
- Peritoneal or Pleural Effusion – a Fluid buildup
- Unexplained weight loss
- Coughing chest pain
You might see a difference in the symptoms of mesothelioma it’s because it has multiple types and all the symptoms depend on its type and nature.
#1 Pleural mesothelioma: this actually affects the tissue that surrounds the lungs, these are the symptoms you can see on this condition
- Painful coughing
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain under the rib cage
- Unusual lumps of tissue under the skin on your chest
- Unexplained weight loss
- Fever and night sweats
#2 Peritoneal mesothelioma: which occurs in tissue in the abdomen, causes signs and symptoms that may include;
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal swelling
- Lumps of tissue in the abdomen
- Unexplained weight loss
- Ascites – a buildup of fluid in the abdomen
- Anemia – most often in women
- Bowel obstruction
#3 Pericardial Mesothelioma Symptoms: As with other forms of the disease, symptoms of pericardial mesothelioma can often mimic other conditions such as coronary, heart disease, heart failure etc…
- Pericardial effusion – fluid buildup between the heart and pericardium
- Chest pain
- Heart murmur
- Dyspnea – short breath
- Fever and sweat
- An irregular heartbeat or palpitations
Ignoring symptoms of Mesothelioma is not a good idea, regardless of whether you have a rare disease, such as mesothelioma, or a common sickness like the flu.
But make sure to keep track of these symptoms
- difficulty breathing,
- abdominal pain or chest pain which may lead you to mesothelioma or another severe condition.
On those conditions make sure you talk with your family and friends or with the doctor as soon as possible.
Treatments and Prevention for Mesothelioma
As you have already heard it’s rare disease but reducing your exposure to asbestos may little lower your risk of mesothelioma.
If any symptoms you find make sure you consult with your doctor and doctor will conduct a physical exam to check for your lumps or other signs and problems that you are facing.
The doctor may advise having an imaging scan or chest x-ray or computerized tomography as we can say (CT Scan) of your chest or abdomen to look at the conditions.
Well regarding treatment for mesothelioma it depends on your health and certain aspects of your cancer, we mean to say that it’s stage, type, and location. Unexpectedly for most people cure is not possible. But possibly doctors can try to do following things.
- Surgery: Surgeons work to remove mesothelioma when it’s diagnosed at an early stage, that might cure cancer.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy uses chemicals to kill cancer cells. This is systemic chemotherapy travels throughout the body and may shrink or slow the growth of mesothelioma without even doing surgery.
- Radiation therapy: This completely focuses on high-energy beams from sources like as an X-rays and protons to a specific spot or spots on your body, where tissues were infected. Radiation may be used after surgery to kill any remaining cancer cells.
- Clinical trials: This means testing, finding means prevent, detect, treat or manage;
- Alternative medicine: Normally there are no alternative treatments have helped in treating mesothelioma but it’s complementary and alternative treatments may help in controlling it; Maybe acupuncture, breath training, relaxation exercises, sitting near a fan etc…
Make sure you check out these reference sites for this particular disease to understand it on a deep and better level.